I use to think that the scientists and the folks with the technical skills in academia were most likely Conservatives. Maybe, but the guys who operate this website are not Conservatives, Current Time – 2021 – Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (thebulletin.org). They are:
- Reeking insane with COVID-19 fears.
- Scared of weapons instead of bad people.
- Freaked out by “climate change”, AKA Global Warming.
- Frightened of conspiracy theorists. This sentence explains itself: “False conspiracy theories about a “stolen” presidential election led to rioting that resulted in the death of five people and the first hostile occupation of the US Capitol since 1814.”
- Terrified by disagreement. Disagree with them, and you are a “science denier.”
- Bereft of serious solutions. Their “solutions” don’t solve anything. They just tie the USA up in knots with foolish, unenforceable treaties. At “best,” their solutions shut up their opponents.
Years ago, before Ronald Reagan finally took it out of the hand of NASA’s high priests of space technology, I worked in the space program. Even before the catastrophic failure of the Challenger Space Shuttle, I had become frustrated with our government-run space program. Even though I am thickheaded, the truth had finally dawned upon me. Our space program was a Socialist Space Program. To many politicians, bureaucrats, and government contractors, NASA was just another example of pork barrel politics (Pork Barrel Politics Definition (investopedia.com)). Politicians often have no interest in either space exploration or technical innovation. In fact, since progress tends to upset the status quo (and their donors), politicians are often against progress.
Aren’t scientists special? Doesn’t scientific truth have a special place in their hearts? Not really. Scientists are people too. Just like the rest of us they can be ethical, or they can be tempted into become slave owners. Slave owners? Throughout most of human history, some people have schemed to enslave “other” people. The “other” people who became slaves did not object to the concept of slavery. They just objected to being slaves instead of being slave owners. It wasn’t until enough people had studied the Bible carefully enough that slavery became an unpopular concept. Unfortunately, most Americans now know little about the Bible. Although most Americans still abhor slavery, they don’t see anything wrong with Socialism, with the GOVERNMENT owning the people. Naively, they think that even if the government owns the People, the government can still be controlled by the People. Naively, they don’t realize that being owned by EVERYONE, that is, the government, would be even worse than being owned by one person. People care more about their personal property than they do about what belongs to someone else. When EVERYONE is responsible, no one gives a damn.
Still, is it possible that article, Current Time – 2021 – Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists (thebulletin.org), is right? Are we approaching doomsday? Are we about to see an apocalypse, widespread destruction from nuclear war, virulent disease, global warming, and who knows what else? Only God knows.
What do I know? Nothing special. I just look at the people we have elected, and I grow sad. I would like to believe I have helped to leave a better world to my children and grandchildren, but I cannot.
- Our leaders are spending recklessly. They have used the COVID-19 pandemic as an excuse for Deficit Spending (investopedia.com). See US spending on COVID-19 relief poised to hit $6T with passage of Biden stimulus bill | Fox Business. Now they want a $3 trillion dollar infrastructure bill? See DC Spits Out Monopoly Money As Biden Is Poised to Outspend the Gargantuan Covid Relief Bill by Brad Slager (townhall.com).
- Our leaders are trying to fundamentally transform us for their own convenience. They would have us change so that we: judge others (each other) by surface characteristics instead of by content of their character, define marriage as any kind of relationship we wish, and treat our children as expensive pets. They want to make self centered Pagans out of us so that we worship stuff, sex, science, the state, and our self. So that they can easily divide, conquer and manipulate us, they want us to be self-centered and selfish.
The founders of America knew better. Consider the significance of this Bible passage.
Not long ago American still understood the importance of service to others. Consider these words, words spoken in 1961.
In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility–I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it–and the glow from that fire can truly light the world.
And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you–ask what you can do for your country.
My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.
Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God’s work must truly be our own.Inaugural Address, January 20, 1961 | JFK Library
Only a few generations? In that I believe President John Kennedy spoke in error. In every generation each man, woman, and child fights a personal battle all the days of their lives. Will we follow the example of our Lord Jesus, or will we sin and seek to make others our servants? Will we love our neighbors, or will take advantage of our neighbors?
In Kennedy’s day, at least, our government still paid lip service to the idea of service to others. Instead of trying to buy our votes with empty promises, there were still politicians who held up the vision of a better life for future generations. These leaders called for PERSONAL sacrifice, not making others sacrifice what they have for our sake. Now? Now we load our children and grandchildren with heaps and mounds of debt and brag about how we are fundamentally transforming America.
What is the immediate problem with slavery? Look what happened to the South. To preserve their peculiar institution, the slave owning class threatened to tear apart the country, and eventually they did tear apart the country. Why such insanity? When we grow up foisting all our difficulties upon slaves, that tends to become habit forming. We lose or never properly develop a capacity for self examination, the ability to properly ascertain whether our own conduct is moral and sustainable. We don’t have to. As much as possible, we make slaves bear the consequence of our foolishness. Hence, the South paid the high cost of losing a bloody war. Even then that generation did not learn. With Jim Crow laws the South sought to reenslave the blacks that Northern armies had freed.
Thievery, stealing the freedom of others, doesn’t require either wisdom or hard work. Thievery requires audacity and the pitiless exercise of brutal strength. Hence, when we elect thieves, politicians who buy our votes with other people’s money, we elect incompetent people whose only “virtue” is the audacity to exercise power brutally. We elect people who will eventually lose, lose badly, and we will all suffer because we let them buy our votes and did nothing to stop them.