Here we continue a series of seemingly disconnected posts.
- “THEY” ARE NOT ON OUR SIDE — PART 1: This post focused upon our moral depravity. We are all too ready to exploit each other. That is why slavery has been the norm throughout history. Even today we eagerly exploit each other.
- “THEY” ARE NOT ON OUR SIDE — PART 2: This post is actually BIAS IN THE NEWS MEDIA: UNFREEDOM OF THE PRESS BY MARK R. LEVIN (familyallianceonline.org). This post is a book review. The book is about the horrid degree of Liberal Democrat bias in the news media.
What is this post about? Cheap labor. As we noted in Part 1, slavery is still a problem. We still look for ways to exploit each other.
Have you ever wondered what globalism about? Some people think it is a big conspiracy, and I suppose that is possible, but people don’t have to “conspire” to work in concert to achieve shared objectives.
Let’s consider a couple of examples of globalist policies: support for illegal immigration and our “free” trade policy.
Illegal immigration is easy. Who doesn’t know about the trouble President Donald Trump has had stopping illegal immigration?
- We have millions of illegal aliens in our country. The Supeme Court won’t even let the Census Bureau count how many of these people we have in the country. Furthermore, the courts insist we admit the children of people who are in our country illegally into our public schools and pay the cost of their education, including teaching them English.
- Congress has made our immigration laws almost unworkable and will not fix those laws. So, the Trump administration has had to pressure Mexico to protect our southern border by threatening Mexico with tarriffs.
- Congress will not implement a merit-based immigration system. Congress’ idea of “reform” is making the problem worse. For all practical purposes Congress wants open borders.
- Congress will not fund the wall. So, Trump has had to connive to divert funds from other sources.
- States and localities across the country have made themselves into “sanctuaries” for illegal aliens, including criminal illegal aliens. Therefore, illegal aliens who supposedly come here to escape crime bring that crime with them. Since some of these criminals attend our schools and put our children at risk, this is absurdly inexcusable.
Why the deceit and foot-dragging in Congress and throughout our political establishment? The immediate motive is cheap labor. Lots of American businessmen want cheap labor. The lower a business’ labor costs the greater the profits. This is why the European Union has let all those people into their country from the Middle East and Africa. Even though many of these people have no intention of assimilating and adopting the ways of their host nations, they work cheap, and the rich don’t have to rub elbows with them.
The rich also don’t pay the cost of educating illegal alien children and for all the other government handouts. Look at our own tax code. Ordinary taxpayers pay for all the nonsense. Lawmakers don’t tax the stuffing out of genuinely wealthy. They write loopholes for them and soak upper income earners with taxes, and our news programs don’t say much about this. Why? Well, who do you think owns the news networks?
Observe that there is no grand conspiracy. America’s elites, the people who own the means of production, just share common objectives, cheap labor and low taxes for themselves, not the rest of us.
Here are some references. Of course, the authors have a bias.
- Your taxpayer dollars are footing the spiraling costs of illegal immigration (thehill.com)
- Our cities should be sanctuaries for Americans – not for criminal aliens (whitehouse.gov)
- The U.S. Immigration Debate (cfr.org)
- On Immigration, Trump Needs to Focus on the Numbers (nationalreview.com)
- Donald Trump on Immigration (thebalance.com)
- Victor Davis Hanson: “A Western Globalized Phenomenon That Citizenship Doesn’t Mean Much Anymore” (realclearpolitics.com)
What about our trade policies? Our trade policy with China stands out as the most absurd example. Instead of worrying about what is good for America, our leaders worry about making China happy for the sake of cheap labor. We even have reasons to worry about outright corruption. Consider how the August 2, 2019 episode of the Mark Levin Show began. Here is a link and a description.
Mark Levin Audio Rewind – 8/2/19
On Friday’s Mark Levin show, President Trump has put China on notice yet again as he considers new tariffs on them. While it’s seldom discussed, China is a major threat to our national security. But for the Clinton Administration relaxing export controls for satellite technology, we’d still have oversight over this technology which they now use to guide their ballistic missiles. The Chinese government through corporations that they control have influenced many families in our political system; the Clinton’s, the McConnell’s, the Biden’s, and Sen. Feinstein’s family.
Criticizing our trade policy with China is also easy. We have a huge trade imbalance because the policy reeks of stupidity.
- China poses a huge military threat to us and its neighbors. Contrary to the promises we were given, trade has not made China less dangerous. Instead, China has gained the expertise and resources it needs to build dangerous military weapons, and they have begun building and deploying such weapons.
- China does not respect our patents. So our companies pay for development costs, and Chinese businesses reap the profits.
- China does not have a capitalist economy. Its government is perfectly happy to bully our companies in order to get what it wants from them.
- China manipulates its currency. This currency manipulation makes it easier for China to sell to us, and more difficult for us to sell to them.
- We have borrowed a huge amount of money from China. Many believe this gives them leverage over us. This is money OUR GOVERNMENT is borrowing from China. Why would our leaders put us in such a bind with an obviously hostile and dangerous foreign power?
Here are some references related to our trade policy with China. These authors have a bias too.
- U.S. Trade Policy in North America, China, and Beyond (americanprogress.org)
- The South China Sea and US-China Trade Policy: Are They Becoming Linked? (military.com)
- US Trade Deficit With China and Why It’s So High (thebalance.com)
- U.S. Relations With China (state.gov)
- Get Smart on China (nationalreview.com)
- Five things to know about Trump’s trade war with China (thehill.com)
- 11 Common Questions About U.S. Trade with China (heritage.org)
So What Is The Point?
Neither our immigration policies nor our trade policies make much sense. What they do is explain the success of President Donald Trump’s campaign pledge to put America first. That pledge is one of the major reasons people voted for him. Unfortunately, BECAUSE Trump opposes illegal immigration and insists upon implementing trade policies with China that are fair to America, our elites are thoroughly enraged. These folks have demonstrated amazing greed. They want cheap labor, and they don’t seem to care about the cost to our country.
Amazing greed? Well, perhaps not. Think about the American Civil War. Think about the price the South paid for slavery. Southerners, not just the slave masters, absolutely refused to see the evils of slavery, and they almost tore our country apart. Many of our elites seem to have the same problem, and they have used their control of our schools and the mass media to propagandized the rest of us. Much of America has believed their nonsense. Thus, they have split our nation, and we have allowed them to do it.
What’s next? Well, there will be another post in this series. In that post we will consider the moral issues that have led to this mess.