What is the short answer to the title question? No. Since Donald Trump is a Republican and not a Democrat, “Let the lawsuits begin!“.
When it comes to illegal immigration, Democrats don’t even make sense. Consider the title of this post, Democrats don’t want ICE notified when illegals try and buy a gun. The Democratic Party is just about as antigun as it could be, but they hate ICE that much?
So can Trump get that wall built by declaring a national emergency? Well, Congress does seem to have given him the power, but it will ultimately depend on the judges. So we have varying opinions. The news media doesn’t much like the idea of a wall.
- Can Trump Build a Wall Under a National Emergency? (wsj.com, 10 Jan)
- What is a national emergency – and does it mean Trump can build his wall? (theguardian.com, 15 Feb)
- Trump’s border wall: What is a national emergency? (ajc.com, 15 Feb)
- Trump’s national emergency declaration could face challenges (cbsnews.com, 15 Feb)
- 16 states are suing Trump for declaring a national emergency over his border wall: ‘A constitutional crisis of his own making’ (businessinsider.com, 19 Feb)
- No, Trump Can’t Use an Emergency Declaration To Build a Wall (nationalreview.com, 8 Jan)
Since the National Emergencies Act has been used 59 times, we do have a track record, however. So it is quite likely Trump’s lawyers rightly expect to win in court. Clearly, leaving our southern border unprotected has created an emergency.
What is the dispute about? Walls don’t work? No. Greed and the naivete of some has made building the wall weirdly controversial. Rich Democrat donors want cheap labor and cheap voters. Rich Republican donors want cheap labor even if they vote Democrat. Their bought politicians have bought the rest of us with Social Security, Medicare, welfare payments, and so forth. Therefore, we have elected politicians who have bought our votes, politicians who won’t protect our borders and us from the greedy people who have bought them.
Unfortunately, when Trump’s national emergency declaration gets to the Supreme Court, we will have to depend the Supreme Court to make the right decision. Will those judges do their job? With any luck a couple of the Liberal judges will retire before that decision gets to the Court, and Trump will put two more Conservatives on the Court, but what a hullabaloo that will be! That will make the fight over the wall look like the very definition of tranquility.