Look up the definition of abortion. Google it and they will get you to Planned Parenthood. Bing it and there is a surprise. This link comes up: https://www.biblestudytools.com/dictionary/abortion/. So I used bing to do most of my research.
What do the online dictionaries have in common? Lots of talk about fetuses and embryos. To a lexicographer, an abortion is the termination of a pregnancy, but it doesn’t seem to be the killing of a human being.
What prompted my writing this? Well, New York has a new law, New York’s Reproductive Health Act. Compare the headlines.
- Long-stalled abortion bill passes New York Legislature (buffalonews.com)
- New York passes law allowing abortions at any time if mother’s health is at risk (msn.com)
- New York Senate Passes Bill Legalizing Abortions Up to Birth (lifenews.com)
- NY Enacts New Protections for Abortion Rights (usnews.com)
- New York passes bill expanding abortion access (thehill.com)
- New York Passes Abortion-Rights Bill on Roe v. Wade Anniversary (wsj.com)
- New York Passes Bill On Roe V Wade Anniversary Casting Abortion As A Woman’s Right (dailycaller.com)
- Pro-Life Leader on NY Abortion Law: ‘No Different than Infanticide’ (breitbart.com)
- ‘This is progressive?’ New York bishops react to new abortion law (catholicnewsagency.com)
- New York Governor Andrew Cuomo Signs Abortion Bill Allowing Murder of Unborn Up Until Birth (christiannews.net)
- Disgusting: New York not only legalized late-term abortions, but also celebrated like it won the Super Bowl (washingtonexaminer.com)
- New York Passes Extreme Abortion Legislation on the Anniversary of Roe v. Wade (townhall.com)
- New York’s Landmark Abortion Rights Bill Protecting Roe v. Wade Decision Now Law (finance.yahoo.com)
- New York State Senate Passes Bill Permitting Abortions up to Birth (nationalreview.com)
- New York puts in measures to protect access to abortion even if Roe v. Wade is overturned (cnn.com)
Usually, when I write one of these of twisted words posts, I state what has been twisted using my own words. This time, however, I think I will make use of a better wordsmith.
What Makes Liberals Cheer Murder? (rushlimbaugh.com on Jan 24, 2019)
RUSH: Now, let me see if I can dig deeper on this whole abortion business, and maybe I’m going too deep on it. Maybe I’m making too big a deal out of it. We’re talking murder here, folks. Now, that’s what makes this different from the way they’ve always approached this. There has been is a significant, fundamental change in the way they are describing what they are supporting here, because it’s always been killing. They’ve known it, we know it, everybody knows it. They have sought to massage the language so that it wasn’t seen as that.
And the primary way they did that was to cloak it in a woman’s right to choose. It was a freedom issue or a civil rights issue — and nobody but nobody has the right to tell a woman what she can do with her body! Even though we do it all the time. We have laws against prostitution. We have laws against drug muling. We have laws against any number of things that involve the body, men and women both. But the left couched it as a civil rights issue, and they denied that there was even any killing going on because there wasn’t anything to kill.
It was “an unviable tissue mass.” Pregnancy is “a risky medical condition.” It can develop into a “disease.” Then they told us that there are deep psychological problems that can result from pregnancy itself. Not abortion, but pregnancy! I mean, they built a whole lot of so-called justifications for abortion, never acknowledging that the death of a human being was happening. That was the point! It was not the death of a human being. They argued about when conception began. They said it wasn’t a human being. (continued here (rushlimbaugh.com))
I suppose some will see the name Rush Limbaugh and just blow this off. Not exactly an openminded response. Still, I think he states the issue well.
What is the lesson here? When and if Conservatives win in the Supreme Court, women will still have “abortion rights”. So Conservatives should use point to this problem and use it as part of the solution. There is nothing in the Constitution that protects “abortion rights”. If such a right exists, let the states work out the problem.
For additional posts in this series, see OF TWISTED WORDS => FEMINISM.