The post features this illogical video.
The point of the video is that praying to God is about as useful as praying to a jug of milk. No matter how much we pray God is not going to give us what we want, supposedly.
What is illogical about the video? Well, it is something of a bait and switch. The narrator admits that the purpose of prayer is to know God’s will, not material gain. Then he ends up trying to demonstrate the futility of prayer by equating praying to God to praying to a jug of milk for $1000. After having as much said that a request for $1000 would not be in God’s Will, what is the point?
There is this thing called the prosperity gospel. Supposedly, if we are good Christians, we will be wealthy. That clearly distorts the Gospel. Jesus prayed. His prayer provides an example for us, and He ended up on a Roman cross, poor, hated and cruelly murdered.
God glorified Jesus, but not until after He had died for our sins. Yet why should we be surprised? God offers us joy for eternity. For His Glory should we not be willing to suffer a little in this life?
So what is prayer all about? Why should we pray? Am I an expert? Am I the person to ask? No and no. I don’t pretend to have the perfect prayer life. I pray by studying the Bible and contemplating it. To know God’s will, I study His Word, and sometimes I pray by taking a long solitary walk and contemplating “matters”, wondering what I should do and repenting over what I have done.
Kneeling with his hands folded may have worked for the Apostle James, but I think I would be better off studying the Bible and “walking”. Is that prayer? I hope so, because if I am to obey His Will I need God’s help.
So what is the purpose of prayer? If we want to know about prayer, we each need to consult the Bible. So here are some links (in no particular order) that reference the Bible and discuss the purpose and method of prayer.
- Prayer Has Its Reasons and Prayer and the Difference It Makes (focusonthefamily.com)
- What’s the point of praying? (christiananswers.net)
- 9 Reasons to Pray (alliancenet.org)
- What is the nature and purpose of prayer? (ccel.org)
- What is prayer? (carm.org)
- The Meaning of Prayer (catholiceducation.org)
- The Purpose of Prayer (gty.org)
- Question: “What is prayer?” (gotquestions.org)
- The Serenity Prayer and The Lord’s Prayer (insanitybytes2.wordpress.com)
- What is intercessory prayer? and How can I have my prayers answered by God? (altruistico.wordpress.com)
- SIH’s Think On These Things: Ephesians 3:14-15 (settledinheaven.wordpress.com)
- The Role that Prayer Plays in Spiritual Growth and Naked Before God: Praying in Humility (lifereference.wordpress.com)