When candidates start lying, we have to wonder why they are running for public office. When they have to make an issue out of silly stuff, we have to wonder why they are running for public office.
Here is an email that Senator Dick Black put out Monday. Judge for yourself
Fact vs. Fiction
Deciphering Jill McCabe’s Lies
With one week to go in the campaign, Jill McCabe’s lies and attacks are getting more and more desperate. Here are the top 5 lies of the campaign:
MCCABE’S 1st LIE: Dick Black called military rape “as predictable as human nature”
- Senator Black wasn’t even talking about rape!
- These original quotes come from a 20 year old Washington Times article entitled, Sex, ‘Inevitable’ in GI Training Camps: Female Recruits, Male Instructors Seen As Explosive Mix
- The reporter interviewed several people with experience in military law enforcement, including Col. Dick Black. He was the Chief of Criminal Law at the Pentagon and spent his career prosecuting rapists and putting them behind bars.
- When asked his opinion about sexual misconduct between older, male drill instructors and new female recruits who have to do what they say, Col. Black warned about the dangers of placing female recruits under the control of male drill instructors and the inevitable sexual misconduct and abuse that would occur. After years of mixed gender training, Congress is holding hearings to figure out why rape in the military is on the increase.
Far from condoning the practice, Senator Black was trying to protect women from rape and abuse by preventing them from being placed in a compromising position.
MCCABE’S 2nd LIE: Dick Black questioned the existence of spousal rape
- Senator Black knows a husband can rape his wife and has prosecuted this heinous crime.
- Jill McCabe doesn’t tell you that Senator Black (then Delegate Black) actually voted FOR HB488, which cracked down on spousal rape.
- Senator Black is the ONLY Senator in the General Assembly who has ever prosecuted a spousal rape case!
- The quote she uses is during a floor debate in 2002, where Senator Black was fighting to make HB488 more enforceable.
Senator Black’s former commanding officer, Major General Hugh H. Overholt, said, “No one ever did more to protect women from rape and abuse than Colonel Dick Black. That’s why we put him in charge of the Criminal Law Division at the Pentagon.”
Below is a screenshot of the final vote in favor of the bill. Read the entire bill for yourself here.
MCCABE’S 3rd LIE: Dick Black supported making divorce more difficult
- Senator Black NEVER voted to make it harder for women to escape bad marriages. Even Jill McCabe’s sources debunk her own lie.
- Jill McCabe cites a 1999 Washington Times article that states “At-fault divorces – based on adultery, abuse or abandonment – would remain unchanged.” Read the whole article here.
- The bill in question (HB 2736) specifically exempted women in abusive relationships. Read the full text of the bill here and see for yourself.
In 1999, a bill was introduced that would have created a new marriage contract in addition to the already existing statutes. This contract would be voluntary and the couple would attend marriage counseling before getting a divorce.
MCCABE’S 4th LIE: Dick Black wants to take away your birth control
- The Supreme Court ruled in Griswold v. Connecticut back in 1965 that it is illegal to try and take away birth control.
- Sen. Black has served in elected office for twelve years and has never introduced or voted for a bill that tried to take away anyone’s birth control.
- When asked about the lack of evidence to prove her outrageous claim that Black wants to take away birth control, Leesburg Today wrote, “McCabe said she believes he’s against its use.” Just because Jill wants it to be true, doesn’t make it true.
Jill McCabe’s citations deal with the “Morning After Pill” which is not birth control. Birth control prevents the conception of a baby. The Morning After Pill is an “abortifacient” that causes a spontaneous abortion after a baby has been conceived. Senator Black opposes the use of the Morning After Pill.
MCCABE’S 5th LIE: Dick Black forces women to have a transvaginal ultrasound before an abortion
- There has never been a bill introduced in the General Assembly to require women to have “transvaginal ultrasounds” before an abortion.
- Most abortion providers perform an ultrasound before they perform an abortion. In fact, Planned Parenthood, which Jill McCabe supports 100%, requires an ultrasound (including transvaginal ultrasounds depending on the age of the baby) before they will perform an abortion.
- Senate Bill 484 simply gave a mother the right to see her ultrasound at abortion clinics. Unlike Planned Parenthood’s policies, the bill did not require “transvaginal ultrasounds.” When complaints were raised that the bill’s language could “imply” the need for transvaginal ultrasounds, Senator Black told the Governor to clarify the language so transvaginal ultrasounds would not be required.
Senator Black is a loving husband, married for 47 years. He is a devoted father and grandfather to his daughter and six grand-daughters. He has spent his life upholding the values of a gentleman, seeking to protect women and children from abusive relationships as a prosecutor in the JAG Corps and in the General Assembly.
To make up such outrageous accusations and lie about someone with a lifetime of dedicated service demonstrates just how low Jill McCabe is willing to stoop. Rolling out these lies just 10 days short of an election illustrates her inability to challenge Senator Black on the issues.
If you can’t trust Jill McCabe to tell the truth in her campaign, how can you trust her to keep her word if she is elected?
Paid For and Authorized By Black For Senate.
Well, I actually was not paid by anybody.