How Has Private Commerce Been Corrupted By Government?
The Cult Of The Leader
Why do we have private commerce? When America was founded, the people believed we are each entitled to use the fruits of our labors as we think appropriate. So they tried to limit the size of government. They gave to government only those functions they thought it necessary for government to accomplish. Today government does a whole lot more. Why? Consider the tagline for this CNN special, Chicagoland.
A city is only as strong as its leaders.
CNN and the rest of the entertainment industry package personalities — stars — and present these stars to us, the masses, as a product. From their viewpoint, it is all about the STAR. That’s what they own and control. It appears that we matter to them as only in so far we affect the ratings of their shows. Thus, from their perspective, the leaders — the stars of a city — not the people of a city, make all the difference.
Is the entertainment industry right? Where does their logic fail? Don’t the people of a city select their leadership? Doesn’t the quality of a city’s leaders depends upon the character of the people who make up that city. In addition, the people, not their leaders, do the vast bulk of the work. Without a wise people who can choose good leaders and diligently obey, leaders produce very little of value.
Nonetheless, the entertainment media’s view is popular. Thus, many think of their neighbors as the unwashed masses, and many tend to rate our leaders based upon how well they use their charisma to manipulate the masses (“other people” — not us). Therefore, many look to our leaders, empowered by the authority of government to solve our problems and satisfy our hunger for the things of this world.
In SWEARING FEALTY, we considered the origin of the term “fealty”. I won’t repeat all that again here. Instead, I think it sufficient to observe that some of us idolize either our leaders or government itself. That is, we become overly impressed with the power of government either to give us things or make people do what they would not otherwise do. Thus, we give something besides God first place in our lives.
The “New” World Order
Even though big government follows a very old old paradigm, today we call big, powerful government the “New” World Order. Using the Bible as his reference, Rob Barkman has four posts at Settled In Heaven that provide a historical perspective.
- New World Order – 1 – What is it and when will it take place
- New World Order – 2 – The Seven World Empires
- New World Order – 3 – The Tower of Babel
- New World Order – Part 4 – Is The Lord Pleased
Using apolitical dictionaries as references, here is how defines the New World Order. It has these basic parts.
- some type of political unity between nations
- this unity is brought about by an exercise of authority
- the desired results of this unity are
- less conflicts
- dramatic changes in political thought
- dramatic changes in national power
- greater harmony and agreement between nations
- greater prosperity between nations (military, economic, social)
- the solving of international problems
Effectively, we, the unwashed masses, invest all our hopes in one great leader to unify us under his inestimably wise rule and thereby solve all our problems. Yet as observes the “New World Order” has never worked.
The Bible gives us accounts and prophesies of divine intervention that proves the Lord’s control over the world empires. These accounts are limited to the empires that fell during the periods in which the Old and New Testaments were written….
- Egypt – Exo 14:21-31 – Egyptian army drowning in Red Sea.
- Assyria – 2 Kings 19:35-37 – Angel of the Lord defeating Assyrian army at night
- Babylon – Dan 5:25-31 – Defeat of Babylon by Lord through use of Darius the Median
- Medo-Persia – Dan 8:2-8, 8:20-21 – Prophecy of defeat of Persia by the Greek Empire
- Greece – the fall of the Greek empire took place during the silent years of 400-0 BC.
- Rome – fell after the New Testament writings were completed and Divine revelation brought to an end.
In every case, these empires wanted to control the wealth and military power of each of these individual nations. In each case, the Lord said “No’ and acted on behalf of his people, stopping the world wide takeover through His personal intervention or the use of other nations.
Empires, whether we call them the “New” World Order or not, do not further cause of human freedom. In practice empires exist for the sake of the pride of emperors and the ruling elites. Empires exist to bring everything under the great leader’s dominion and control.
The Subversion Of Private Enterprise
Over the years government has taken over more and more functions that belong in private hands. Consider these examples.
- The public school system: The vast majority of children attend public schools. Moreover, what was once strictly controlled by local government is now in most states controlled by state government. Now, even though it has no constitutional authority to do so, the Federal Government is taking over.
- Healthcare: At one time people purchased their healthcare privately, and nonprofits assisted the poor. Now we have Medicare, Medicaid, and Obamacare. The Federal Government heavily regulates healthcare, and what does that mean? Nancy Pelosi said Congress would have to pass the bill so we could find out. Apparently, the bill was too long to read, and curiosity got the better of ’em.
- Mortgage lending: Because of government sponsored agencies such as Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the Federal Government is into mortgage lending in a big way. Hence we had that TARP bailout. Through the Federal Reserve and its government sponsored agencies, government exercises a huge control over mortgage interest rates. The Federal Government has taken over the School Loan program.
- You want more examples? The Daily KOS has post with plenty of examples: 75 Ways Socialism Has Improved America. Because the author doesn’t know what he is talking about, he has included many irrelevant examples. The military, for example, is not a socialist institution (see IS THE UNITED STATES MILITARY A SOCIALIST INSTITUTION?). What is sad how little value the folks at The Daily KOS place upon competition and consumer choice. Instead, they plainly owe their fealty to something they label Democratic Socialism.
Why do we have this creeping Socialism? The answer I think lies in Crony Capitalism. Consider this definition from Investopedia.
Definition of ‘Crony Capitalism’
A description of capitalist society as being based on the close relationships between businessmen and the state. Instead of success being determined by a free market and the rule of law, the success of a business is dependent on the favoritism that is shown to it by the ruling government in the form of tax breaks, government grants and other incentives.
Investopedia explains ‘Crony Capitalism’
Both socialists and capitalists have been at odds with each other over assigning blame to the opposite group for the rise of crony capitalism. Socialists believe that crony capitalism is the inevitable result of pure capitalism. This belief is supported by their claims that people in power, whether business or government, look to stay in power and the only way to do this is to create networks between government and business that support each other.
On the other hand, capitalists believe that crony capitalism arises from the need of socialist governments to control the state. This requires businesses to operate closely with the government to achieve the greatest success. (from here)
What is a special interest group? A special interest group is often just a bunch of people trying to promote what they think is a good cause. However, that is often not the case. Isn’t a special interest group also a group that seeks a special advantage for itself from government officials? Because of their size, corporations and labor unions can achieve great success lobbying government officials. Hence, corporations have made the tax code so complex nobody understands it, and teachers unions already have a seemingly unbreakable monopoly on childhood education. That’s the sort of thing that leads to crony capitalism and eventually socialism.
As time permits, I will add additional links and comments, but here is a start.
- Obama’s Budget Proposal – Lower Deficit, Higher Debt, Interest Keeps Growing at Political Realities: Here we have an article that focuses on the huge, unaffordable size of our government.
- It’s why your children are moving away…REALLY??? at The Culture Monk: What causes the sameness we are seeing all around America? I believe our government — all the regulations produced by government — gives too many advantages to large corporations. When they don’t have to hire specialists to deal with government rules, regulations, and tax complications, small businesses have a important advantage. Because of there small size, they are less complicated to operate.
- Chevron Fraud at Keith DeHavelle: Remember what happened to the tobacco industry? How about the folks use to make asbestos? Or the American companies that use to make small airplanes. We could go on, but lawyer run our government, and lawyers like to sue.
Other Posts In This Series
- Why I Retain Some Hope For My Country?: February 27, 2014
- How have labor unions been corrupted by government?: March 17, 2014
- How have nonprofits been corrupted by government?
- How has the mass media been corrupted by government?
- Who is the enemy?
- How do we defeat the enemy?