Here is an important leftover from Virginia’s 2013 General Election. On Tuesday, January 21, 2014, the folks living in Virginia’s 33rd Senate District will have a special election. Here is how LoudounTimes.com portrays the race.
Republican candidate John Whitbeck called the Virginia Senate 33rd District special election one of the most pivotal races in Virginia in years.
Considering the stakes, few can argue that claim.
The Jan. 21 contest to fill Attorney General Mark Herring’s seat has monumental implications for the commonwealth and its new slate of Democratic leaders – Herring, Gov. Terry McAuliffe and Lt. Gov. Ralph Northam. If Whitbeck or independent Joe May – likely to caucus with Republicans – wins the seat, the Democrats will be forced to reckon with a Republican-controlled House and Senate. (continued here)
Would Joe May caucus with the Republicans? Does Joe May have a serious chance of winning or is he more likely to split the Republican vote? Do you have a vote? If these questions are important to you, then you should probably consider the last question first.
Where is Virginia’s 33rd Senate District? Both Fairfax County and Loudoun County have voting precincts that are part of the 33rd Senate District. If the candidates have been sending you or your neighbors advertisements and you not certain whether you are in the 33rd Senate District, there is an easy way to check.
- Visit the Virginia State Board of Elections.
- Click on Are you registered? Check your status.
- Then click on the link that provides your current registration status. click here
- Then click on the Update or View Voter Record link and fill out the form. That way you can both verify your registration status and confirm your voting precinct.
- Then go back to the main web page, Virginia State Board of Elections.
- Click on What’s on my ballot? and fill out the form. Make certain you include your voting precinct. If you are in precinct other than one that includes the 33rd Senate District, the option to select that district will not come up. If you are in the 33rd Senate District here is what you might see.
- Click on the link for “2014 January Special – SOV 33” and you will see the name of the candidates on the ballot.
Who is running? Here is a list of the candidates and their web sites.
|Party||Candidate||Address|| Web Site
|Democrat||Jennifer T. Wexton||20 W. Market Street – Leesburg, VA 20176||http://www.wextonforstatesenate.com|
|Republican||John C. L. Whitbeck, Jr.||PO Box 447 – Leesburg, VA 20178||http://www.johnwhitbeck.com|
|Independent||Joe T. May||PO Box 4104 – Leesburg, VA 20177||http://www.joemayforva.com|
NOTE THESE IMPORTANT DEADLINES.
Fairfax County has links associated with the dates.
Loudoun County includes information relevant to those dates here.
More posts to come.