House Republicans said Wednesday that stripping funding from the health-care law championed by President Barack Obama would be their price for keeping federal agencies open after the end of this month, a move that sharply increases the risk of a partial government shutdown in two weeks.
GOP leaders said the House would vote Friday on a bill to fund federal agencies for the first 2 1/2 months of the fiscal year, which starts Oct. 1, but strip all health-law funding.
House Speaker John Boehner (R., Ohio) had been trying to avoid such a tight link between the issues out of fear that it would lead to a stalemate and trigger a shutdown, but he reversed course under pressure from conservatives working to make “defunding” the health law a litmus test in this budget fight. (continued here)
What is the risk? In politics, the corporate news media keeps score. Whereas we should vote based upon principles of right and wrong, we tend to see things as President Bill Clinton wanted us to visualized the matter.
It’s the economy, stupid. (from here)
Thus, electoral victory involves seizing credit and blaming our opponent. That makes politics about information warfare, not protecting the rights of the people.
Therefore, here is the latest from Nancy Pelosi.
- Obamacare is wrong. The Democrats sold this unconstitutional program by telling us repeated lies. Because it is such a rotten mess, Obama has already delayed much of the program. That he has done by issuing executive orders. And where does the legislation give him that authority? No one knows.
- America does not want Obamacare. America never did want Obamacare. Therefore, when Congress refuses to fund the Obamacare, Congress is just doing its job, obeying the will of the People. What does that imply? Democrats do not serve the People. If the Democrat-run Senate refuses to approve and the President Obama refuse to sign a continuing resolution that defunds Obamacare, Democrats must be holding the economy hostage for the sake of their sacred cow.
Unfortunately, Democrats own the biggest corporate news media outlets. Therefore, Tea Party activists must add their own voices. We must encourage Republicans to speak clearly and forcefully. We must work to remind our people that this battle is not about our pocketbooks. This battle is over whether or not we can hold our leaders accountable, both to our Constitution and to us. Do we want to be ruled by tyrants, or do we want to remain a free people? Do we have both the courage and fortitude required to remain free? Will we choose to place our faith in government or in God?
Please write letters to both your Congressmen and Senators. Let them know where you stand, and please encourage your neighbors to do the same.
- Government Shutdown? Americans Okay if Congress Fights to Defund Obamacare (heritageaction.com)
- Republicans at odds as ‘Obamacare’ showdown nears (cnsnews.com)
- Sen. Ted Cruz: We will use ‘every ounce of breath’ to defund Obamacare (washingtontimes.com)
- Boehner: Fight to Defund ObamaCare Moving to Senate – Where It Belongs (speaker.gov)