Most of us like to think of ourselves as a good person, and we like to be thought of as generous. We are neither good nor are we generous. That is why our nation risks descending into chaos. What we like to think is true about ourselves is not so. Even when we are supposedly trying to be generous, we tend to first think greedily of ourselves.
Robin Hood’s Merry Men
Most us have no idea how much of our tax monies go to fund government charity. What is worse, most of us never consider the corrupting influence of government-run charities. We have all the facts we need, but we never bother to piece them together. Why? The Establishment (What is the Establishment? See WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO CHALLENGE THE ESTABLISHMENT — PART 1.) does not want us to. No, I am not speaking of a deliberate conspiracy. None is required. All that is required is for “good” men to do nothing, and when we think doing nothing is in our own best interest, most of us will happily do nothing.
Where does the “charity” go? Consider the two charts below. The first shows Federal spending, and the second shows total government spending (Federal, state, and local).
With any cursory investigation of government spending, what will you learn?
- Total government spending is over 6 trillion dollars. That means we devote almost 40 percent of our Gross Domestic Product (GDP) to our government.
- We devote most government spending to “social programs.” That is, our government takes money from someone who earned it, and our government gives that money to someone who did not earn it.
- Because of Social Security, the old live off the young.
- Because of welfare programs, nonprofit organizations, government bureaucrats, and the poor live off the “rich”.
- Because of educational programs, educators, education administrators, and their labor unions live off their students, their student’s parents, and the taxpayers.
- Because of healthcare programs such as Medicare, the healthcare industry (and the old) lives off the taxpayers (particularly young ones).
- And so forth.
- And our government is running huge deficits (see here). We will leave the young and future generations burdened with debt.
That which we traditionally consider basic government services — national defense, police protection, the regulation of commerce, road construction…. — uses an increasingly smaller part of the budget. Most of the the activity of our government is now consumed by social programs. We have allowed time to turn our politicial establishment into to one vast band of do-good robbers. For all practical purposes, we are ruled by Robin Hood’s Merry Men, that is, ladies and gentlemen who make merry by benevolently dispersing taxpayer funds to whomever they choose.
What is to come?
- Part 2: What is the moral logic that justifies Robin Hood government? — posted on June 18, 2012.
- Part 3: What Are The Consequences Of Accepting The Logical Argument For Robin Hood Government? — posting on June 20, 2012.
- Part 4: Do We Deserve To Be A Free People? — posted on July 1, 2012.
- Part 5: What Must We Do To Remain A Free People? — posted on July 9, 2012.