This post is the fourth and final part in this series.
- We introduced the subject in REVERSING AMERICA’S CHRISTIAN DECLINE — PART 1.
- In REVERSING AMERICA’S CHRISTIAN DECLINE — PART 2, we asked WHAT WE CAN DO AS CHRISTIANS?
- In PART 3, we considered WHAT WE CAN DO AS PARENTS.
- In this final post in the series, we will examine our role as citizens.
WHAT WE CAN DO AS CITIZENS?
What Is The Nature of Christian Government?
Consider what one of the most respected scientists who ever lived said about his studies.
I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. — Isaac Newton
We do not know very much. We do not even know how we should govern ourselves. God has not given us detailed guidance. The New Testament says very little about government, and what the Old Testament says about operation of government applies principally to the Jews. So no Christian can claim to know exactly how government should work. What Christians do know is that Christ Jesus came to serve, and He said we should follow his example. Therefore, Christian government must be humble government, government that exists to serve rather dominate the People.
Since the people who founded our government respected the teachings of Jesus, they did not claim God sanctioned the government they set up. Unlike the leaders of the European powers they had just escaped, the founders did not use government to dominate each other or to run each other’s lives. On the contrary, because they had seen first hand how dangerous government power could be, they limited its power. What they sought to do instead is to create a government that protected the God endowed rights of their fellow citizens to life, liberty and property. Their restraint allowed (and forced some) individual citizens to take responsibility for their own decisions. As a result, private associations (see THE RIGHT OF FREE ASSOCIATION) prospered in America, and the People worked together in voluntary cooperation to overcome difficult challenges and problems.
What Is The Nature Of Modern American Government?
In our time, government power has escaped the Constitutional bounds the founders placed upon it. Our government’s abuses of power now threaten the Christian faith in two ways.
- Because politicians insist that children receive a secularized education, government-run educational institutions undermine the ability of Christian parents to properly educate their children in the Christian faith. Because we have grown up with this system, we are accustomed to it, but consider the absurdity. We pay the highest per pupil cost in the world. Nevertheless, parents cannot choose their children’s teachers or the content of their children’s education. Instead, bureaucrats from the Federal, state, and local governments (plus the School Board) tell parents how their child will be educated.
- Because politicians insist upon secularizing government and similarly bureaucratic corporate institutions, they threaten to push both the Christian message and Christian practices out of the public square. Why do our politicians want such a thing? Look closely at what we would have leaders create, a government that offers us security from the cradle to the grave. Instead of dedicating their lives in service to God, too many now prefer to offer up half of their earnings for the meager bit of security that a politician can offer us in this life. These do not even consider the price in liberty.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. — Benjamin Franklin (from here)
When we have faith in God, we turn to Him in time of need, but too many politicians want us to turn to them and their government. Instead of promoting religious freedom, these political leaders increasingly deny any need for religion, declaring that religion is a purely private matter that has no place in the public square. Such politicians seek to stifle the Christian faith, to leave us ignorant of our Christian heritage. Such would encourage atheism. Such jeopardize our ability to live as Christians and to pass our faith onto our children.
What Must We Do Restore A Government That Respects Our God Endowed Rights?
As Christians, we cannot ignore a government that interferes with our ability to function as both as good Christians and as good parents. God expects us to use every opportunity to instruct our children in the faith. God also expects us to love our neighbors. That means we must seek both to protect our neighbors rights and share with them the Word of God. Therefore, we must do our part to restore our government to its constitutional bounds. What does that mean in practice?
- We must become familiar with our nation’s heritage. We must study and learn how our government is suppose to work. Then we must strive to elect men and women who seek, by following the example of Christ, to be first by being the servant of all (Mark 9:35).
- We must demand decreased government spending. Currently, government dedicates most of its spending to massive health, education, and welfare bureaucracies. Check out usgovernmentpending.com. Look at where our money is going. Then consider how costly this spending is both to our pocketbooks and to our liberty. At one time, we considered health, education, and welfare local concerns. We resolved such problems in concert with our neighbors. We worked through churches and private charities. Now, we hand our paychecks over to politicians and turn our eyes away from the poor (Proverbs 28:27). Yet to pay for massive bureaucracies and promises that cannot and will not be kept, we have piled debt upon debt.
Because it threatens our religious liberty, as Christians we must shrink our government down to size, constraining it to do only those things only government can and must do. For the sake of our souls and generations yet to come, we must dismantle government-run health, education, and welfare programs.
What will happen if we do not act soon? Some how, some way the Christian faith will survive, but our land will no longer have government of the People, by the People, and for the People.