UPDATE 2: C-SPAN has the video back up.
UPDATE 1 at the Bottom
I was not able to go. Not enough time. However, I was able to attend some of the major Tea Party events in Washington D.C. Since the corporate news media associates the Tea Party movement and people like Sarah Palin and Glenn Beck, I expect they will handle the new coverage similarly. To confirm that all I had to do is just look at the top articles in Google News.
- Thus, the Washington Post is doing its best to focus coverage on the opposition rally.
- The Huffington Post cannot find anything to talk about except hate speech.
- USA Today live blogged the event. Most of the content seems relatively neutral. Nonetheless, the 2:10 PM content is about that opposition rally.
- CBS News is about the opposition rally.
Anyway, so much for the so-called news.
If you want to find out what happened, what is the first place you should go? Why not the Glenn Beck Program? The top news on Beck’s web site is currently about the rally, and Beck has a web page devoted to the rally. Beck promises to have pictures and video of the event.
There is also a Conservative news media, but you have to hunt for it.
- The Daily Caller live blogged the event.
- Fox News has coverage, but since Beck is one of their top stars we should get some confirmation.
- News Max has coverage. If you go to their front page, they have lots of stories and video.
The Best Place?
C-SPAN also covered the event. Looks like CSPAN got whole three hours on video.
Anyway, it was a big event. How big? I don’t know, but Beck claimed over several hundred thousand. More important is the fact the crowd seems to have had a good time. That says something. Restoring honor to this nation may be hard word, but we do not have to see it as painful. We just have to avoid returning hatred for hatred. We must remember it is about faith, hope, and charity.
Fishersville Mike ‘s So Lonesome I could cry points to Liberty Pundit.
Virginia Right has some observations in GLENN BECK’S RALLY: RESTORING HONOR.
I finished watching the C-SPAN video of the Restoring Honor Rally. Unfortunately, the video is temporarily unable (at least it was at 6:10 PM EST, on August 29th). My guess is that the video will not be available until Monday morning. However, the C-SPAN video is good. So I recommend watching.
What did Beck put together?
- One part fundraising: Beck raised over 5 million dollars for the Special Operations Warrior Foundation. The program began by explaining what this outfit does.
- One part awards ceremony (quite inspirational): three military and three civilians received awards for their outstanding acts of heroism, faith, hope, and charity.
- One part entertainment: some great singing.
- One part religous: Beck and others gave sermons begging us to look back to our Christian roots. Beck used this event to provide examples: the bravery of our warriors; the hard work of the Founders; the faith hope and charity of spirited citizens; and the unflagging efforts modern activists such as Martin Luther King.
Ironically, in spite of the complaints of the critics, this was a religious event, not a political event. Nevertheless, the critics had every right to be afraid. With this event Beck launched an open attack on their pride and joy, the modern welfare state. Beck and all those involved left little doubt that they consider charity a personal, not government responsibility.
How government works — what it does — depends upon what the People believe. The day Americans accept the contention that government has no ethical right to redistribute their wealth will spell the end of the welfare state.
GO BECK! GO!