Yesterday I had the pleasure of attending Keith Fimian‘s Prince William Campaign Kickoff at Guiseppe’s Italian Grill in Haymarket, Virginia. Who is Keith Fimian? Well, it is my hope this man will be the 11th Congressional District’s next Congressional Representative. This post is about what happened at the Kickoff.
The Kickoff lasted about two hours, 1 – 3 PM. The first hour provided everyone an opportunity to eat Guiseppe’s fine pizza and salad and to chit-chat. That included talking to the candidate. About a hundred people showed up. The notables included:
- Supervisor Corey Stewart.
- Sheriff Glen Hill.
- School Board Member Milt Johns.
- PWCRC Chairman Lyle Beefelt.
- Bob FitzSimmonds (Note that Bob expects to run once again for the State Senate seat currently held be Chuck Colgan.)
The last hour consisted of an introduction by Supervisor Corey Stewart (including his endorsement), a speech by Keith Fimian, and a question and answer period. Stewart offered strong support for Fimian. He left little doubt that he respects Fimian, considers him both qualified and Conservative, and that he has gotten to know Fimian personally. Stewart noted that this is Fimian’s second attempt, and he congratulated Fimian for having the guts to run. Stewart made it clear that he believes Fimian a strong candidate and that he expects Fimian to win.
During his own speech, Fimian also addressed the fact that this is his second attempt. He made three points in that regard.
- He got more votes than former Congressman Tom Davis got when he won in the same district.
- In his first attempt, he ran on a issue that has since gotten far more popular, getting government spending under control. He is still running against our big government, and he now has additional credibility. He ran against big government when it was not a popular position.
- The Obama surge is over.
Fimian spoke about his reasons for running.
- He wants his children to have the same opportunities he had. Americans, not America’s government, make America a great place. Instead of helping America, our government is now spending our grandchildren’s future. Fimian spoke of speaking to some of the senior citizens at Heritage Hunt. These people, proud of the legacy they had left subsequent generations, now see that legacy being squandered. Fimian wants to get our country back to its tradition of leaving a better America for the next generation.
- The people we have sent to Washington D.C. to govern us need to be replaced. These people are wreaking our economy, and they do not know how to fix the problems they created.
Fimian spoke about his qualifications. He is a former CEO who built a nationwide corporation from the ground up. He has created jobs and knows what it takes to create jobs. He is the only candidate in the race who can say that.
Fimian spoke about his jobs plan. This plan is posted on his website. Hear what Fimian has to say. See Keith on Jobs.
During the question and answer period, no one contested what Fimian proposes to do. What this audience worried about is working hard to send another good man to Washington just watch the establishment corrupt him. They asked Fimian how he would avoid being corrupted. What Fimian said is that he has principles that he lives by. He gave an example. He is the President of the Washington DC-based Youth Leadership Foundation, a supplemental academic and character formation program serving disadvantaged youth in our nation’s capital. Fimian described how this program instills discipline and helps 97 percent of its participants to get into college. Here is a brief description of the Youth Leadership Foundation.
All Youth Leadership Foundation (YLF) programs are founded on Four Pillars of Success: Challenging Academics, Character Formation, Personal Mentoring and Parental Involvement. The goal of each of these pillars, through YLF’s well- rounded academic and character programs, is to teach our students the basic human and Christian virtues that will guide them on a stable moral path. (from here)
Here is a video of the event.
The Mason Conservative provides a comparison, Herrity Kick-Off At Country Club?