Why a post on illegal immigration?
- Illegal immigrants are the slaves of our era. It is immoral for employers to tempt people into our country and exploit them. Yet it happens. Too many employers seem pefectly happy to have illegal immigrants in our nation as second class citizens. Why? The answer is greed. To do the work they did not want to do (in this case, the work that Americans supposedly won’t do), human societies have attempted to enslave others throughout history. That includes Americans. Remember that peculiar institution of the Old South.
- In our society, a large percentage of the capital assets, the means of producing food and manufactured goods, are owned by a relatively few people. Quite naturally, the owners of these capital assets want those assets to be worth as much as possible. They achieve that by bringing down the costs of production. Labor is often the major cost of production. Illegal immigrants provide inexpensive labor. So what is the problem with using illegal immigrants? Our society can only assimulate so many poor, uneducated people. The rich are not paying the cost to assimulate these poor and uneducated people. You and I are paying the bill, and you and I can only afford to Americanize so many people at any one time. In sufficient numbers, illegal immigrants will balkanize our society and tear it apart. These people do not understand our society. Often, they cannot speak our language. They have difficulty adapting so they set themselves apart. We have already had demonstrations. What is next?
- The issue serves as litmus test. Even though rank and file members detest illegal immigration, the Republican Party establishment supports illegal immigration. Why? Wealthy people, the people who own most of our nation’s capital assets, are influential. Such people know to select, engineer, and FUND the election of political candidates to public office. When elected officials cater to such interest groups, they do not serve the best interests of our society.
“I am a descendant of immigrants who came to this country legally to seek the American dream. I believe that dream should remain attainable for those who obey the law. However, illegal immigration is costing Virginia taxpayers hundreds of millions of dollars each year. As someone with experience dealing with homeland security, I know we must secure America’s borders and crackdown on employers who hire illegal immigrants if we’re going to stop the illegal immigration that is threatening our nation’s future.”
Gilmore’s explanation appears to be an exercise in semantics. Based upon previous statements when he running for the presidency, there is a strong probability that Gilmore will do virtually nothing to solve the problem of illegal immigration. The key word in Gilmore’s statement is “illegal.” To legalize “illegal” immigrants, Gilmore will register them. Then, after they are “legal,” employers can hire them. I suggest you read this post at the right-wing liberal.
If the right-wing liberal post does not satisfy you about the dangers of Gilmore’s position on immigration, then I suggest you read this OnTheIssues post (here). Consider this quote from their post.
No amnesty for illegals; control the border
Q: Do you favor amnesty for illegal immigrants?
A: No. I believe there should not be an automatic path to citizenship. We should control the borders, and then require illegals to come in and register. Then we can have an honest debate on immigration reform.
Source: Live Chat with Jim Gilmore on his campaign blog Apr 26, 2007
At the federal level, the Federal Government must do the following:
- Secure our southern border by construction of a “fence” (electronic, physical or both) and significantly increase border patrols.
- Give back to states the powers they had before the passage of the 1986 federal immigration law which allowed them to penalize employers who knowingly hire or lure illegal workers to the United States.
- Refuse amnesty to those who illegally enter the United States.
- Penalize countries which refuse to take back illegal aliens who have finished serving time for crimes;
- Abolish birthright citizenship which is a large incentive for illegal immigration.
“As chairman of U.S. Border Control,” Edward I. Nelson, of McLean , wrote to Marshall on March 29, “I am proud to give you our organization’s endorsement.
“I found some time to review your website, not just the immigration portion, but your views across the board. As important as border and immigration policies are to me, I could not, in good conscience, endorse a person who was right on immigration but wrong on the other serious issues our nation faces.
“I was delighted to see that your position statements on a wide range of issues reflect a thoughtfulness that must be based on all those thousands of books that you read. Clearly, this nation could benefit by having a sound-thinking person like you in the U.S Senate.”
Let’s face it. As Republicans, we know where John McCain stands immigration. We also know we are not going to vote for Barack Obama. So we have a problem? How do we keep McCain from opening the gates at our borders wide open?
We know Bob Marshall‘s reputation. We know Marshall will fight tooth and nail to do the right thing, and he is not going to let the Republican leadership stop him. Do you really think Jim Gilmore will fight the head of his own party tooth and nail? If you believe that, where is the evidence?
The Mason Conservative tries to set Gilmore’s record straight (here).
STD brags about the money Gilmore has raised (here).