Ephesians 6:11-12 Good News Translation (GNT)
11 Put on all the armor that God gives you, so that you will be able to stand up against the Devil’s evil tricks. 12 For we are not fighting against human beings but against the wicked spiritual forces in the heavenly world, the rulers, authorities, and cosmic powers of this dark age.
What are the Devil’s evil tricks? How does the Devil seek to subdue us and bring us into his kingdom? Consider this post, Federal Government Pulls Aid to Food Pantry Because of Jesus (H/T to Federal Government Pulls Aid To Food Pantry Because Of Their “Christian Practices” at blogsense-by-barb).
Times are changing and fewer churches are providing that vital help to people and families in need. Part of the problem is that today’s people are too busy with themselves to worry about others and in a struggling economy, some churches no longer have the resources to help. Yet others have become so liberal in their theology that they have no concern for the needy. After all, and I’ve heard this on more than one occasion, let them turn to the government for help.
What many churches and Christians fail to realize is that attitude is playing into the government’s hands. Our federal government doesn’t want Christian charity to be the norm in America. Instead, they want everyone, and I mean everyone, to turn to the government for all of their needs. This is socialism 101 to its core.
A good example of how the government is doing its best to shut down Christian charities is what happened to the Christian Service Center in Lake City, Florida. For the past 31 years, the CSC has been helping out the low income residents of Lake City by providing and distributing food to those in need. It was established as a Christian outreach from the very beginning.
Some of the food they get to distribute is from the government, just like many other food banks. The food came from the USDA and CSC has been receiving USDA food for years. However, with Obama’s war on Christianity, the government help has ended.
The Christian food bank received notice from the USDA that unless they stopped all Christian practices at the center and took down their pictures of Jesus and the Ten Commandments, that they would no longer be eligible to receive USDA food contributions. Currently the USDA makes up 30%-40% of CSC’s food contributions. (from here)
Does Federal Government Pulls Aid to Food Pantry Because of Jesus illustrate one of the Devil’s tricks? When we demand that the Federal Government provide charity to the poor, have we considered what Jesus would do?
- When we demand that our government provide charity to the poor, do we do so out of personal generosity? Whose money is it that we want the government to spend on behalf of the poor?
- When we demand that the government spend money on us, have we earned that money or are we just using our government to steal from our neighbors?
- Have we considered the constitutional implications? Can we honestly point to the place in the Constitution that authorizes the Federal Government to tax the “rich” so “noble” and “generous” politicians can dole out aid to the poor?
- Have we considered the fact that our demand for Federal welfare programs requires corrupt politicians? When Federal welfare programs violate the Constitution, what honest man can support such programs and still take seriously his oath to support and defend the Constitution?
- Have we considered the moral implications of giving ambitious men and women the power to redistribute the wealth? If nothing we own is safe from the Federal Government’s redistributive powers, is that not absolute power? Doesn’t absolute power corrupt a man absolutely?
- Is putting privately run charitable institutions in competition with the ambitious men and women who run our government wise? Do we really want to give our government an excuse to stifle religious belief in the name of charity?
- When our government provides charity to the poor, is that an act of honest love? Don’t most politicians use welfare programs to buy votes?
- When our government provides charity to the poor, does such charity ennoble our people or does such charity corrupt us?
- The Christian church exists to spread the Gospel. Even when the Devil cannot corrupt Christians, He may still succeed in silencing their voices. Is that in part what government-run charity exists to do.
- When we demand that our government provide charity to the poor, is that what Jesus would do, or is it just one of the Devil’s tricks? Can anyone except a politician say with a straight face that government-run charity truly demonstrates our love for our fellow man?
- Florida official tells Christian charity to choose between Jesus and cheese (vineoflifenews.com)
- Todd Starnes Defends Religious Group That Preys On Needy (lezgetreal.com)
- You Shouldn’t Have To Endure Bible-Thumping To Eat (rawstory.com)