YET ANOTHER ABUSE OF POWER

navyH/T to NooneOfAnyImport’s Blog (see Navy: Lincoln Refueling Delayed because of funding, yet pays $16 bucks a gallon).

There is always another good blog out there I have never heard of. How do I know when I have founded one? Their latest post grabs my attention.

During the hearing with Panetta last week, I was ready to jump out of my chair as I watched the ignorance regarding the statement by Panetta that he cancelled the deployment of the Navy Carrier USS Truman because of budget concerns, no doubt, because of the GOP. Wink Wink. Now we learn we cannot fuel the USS Lincoln. So the truth of the matter is they can’t find biofuel and the Navy has wasted so much money going green. Of course delaying the retrofit of the ship should put more pressure on the GOP so the plan goes. I was waiting, waiting waiting for someone to ask about this idiotic behavior. Better yet would have been to question the Charmian of the Armed Services. So here we go, first the back story.

Navy buys biofuel for $16 a gallon

This is going to help the Defense Department weather looming budget cuts, for sure. Teaming up with the Department of Agriculture (which has a cheery Rotary Club ring to it), the Navy has purchased 450,000 gallons of biofuel for about $16 a gallon, or about 4 times the price of its standard marine fuel, JP-5, which has been going for under $4 a gallon.The why and more at Hot Air

U.S. Navy going Green

By 2020, the Navy must learn to get at least 50 percent of energy from alternative sources, and 50 percent of the military vessels will have to try hard to zero out- that is to spend no more energy than they can produce. In other words, the sailors themselves have expressed doubts as to how efficient the vessels will be after the replacement of traditional fuels with alternative ones

The U.S. Navy will delay the refueling of the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) for an unknown period because of the uncertain fiscal environment due to the ongoing legislative struggle, the service told Congress in a Friday message obtained by USNI News. (continued here)

As BUNKERVILLE explains in Navy: Lincoln Refueling Delayed because of funding, yet pays $16 bucks a gallon, the Obama administration is wasting millions of dollars of taxpayer’s money on biofuel by paying 4 times the price for standard marine fuel. Using the guise of environmentalism, our glorious leader is committing fraud, waste, abuse.

When we read post’s like BUNKERVILLE‘s and the news articles referenced by the BUNKERVILLE post, keep in mind what makes this corruption possible. Socialist Democrat leaders operates with the mindset that what they want is more important than our rights. It is not about Utopia; that’s just an excuse. The object is what they want for themselves. So it is they waste billions to steal millions.

This entry was posted in Environment, Information Warfare, National Defense, US Blogs and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to YET ANOTHER ABUSE OF POWER

1. bunkerville says:

Thanks for the link! Good stuff, I will add you to my roll.

2. novascout says:

How embarrassing for the author of the post and, I guess, by extension, for Tom. The refueling/overhaul process for a nuclear carrier is a once or twice a lifetime process for these CVNs. It can last two or three years. The price of biofuel hasn’t got the first thing to do with it. The post makes it sound like the Lincoln was getting low on biofuel and, because the credit card is maxed out, they can’t pull up to the pump. Refueling a large nuclear reactor is a much more complex process. These ships don’t run on Bunker C, Diesel, biofuel, or Chanel No. 5. They make steam through a controlled nuclear reaction using fuel that lasts for a number of years.

Much could be said, much of it critical, about the approaches of several administrations and Congresses to subsidizing biofuels in this country. Everytime I have to put 10% ethanol in my antique vehicle, I cringe. But, it takes a vast reservoir of ignorance to think that a nuclear carrier like the Lincoln is out of commission because of the cost of biofuel.

Perhaps it was an off-cycle April Fool’s joke.

This is worse than the fairy tale about the mortgage scammers.

Let’s get excited about real events.

novascout – I suppose I violated one of my own rules. Links are for reference, not for explanation. When I first read the Bunkerville article, it occurred to me to wonder whether the author was unaware that aircraft carriers are nuclear powered. So I checked the links. If you were not so hopeful that I would make a fool of myself, you too probably would have read the post less judgmentally.

The biofuel is for the aircraft on aircraft carriers and smaller surface ships. This article makes that a little more explicit.

The USS Lincoln will not need any biofuel. While the Navy is wasting money on biofuels, the Lincoln will not be refueled. The Bunkerville post did not mention the carrier is nuclear powered, but this article doesn’t either. http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/02/09/navy-too-broke-to-refuel-uss-abraham-lincoln-aircraft-carrier-19351

The point of the Bunkerville post is misplaced priorities, but I suppose other careless readers may reach the either same conclusion you reach or actually think carriers still run on refined petroleum.

Here is a Washington Post article that does bother to mention that the Lincoln is nuclear powered.

As Conservative as you are, maybe you should stick with the Post. However, I doubt any article, not even one in the Post, will bother to mention that navy “aircraft” carriers carry aircraft that require what the Brits call petrol. Anyway, I hope that clarifies the matter for you.

• novascout says:

I guess I was trying to convey that the “refueling” was the carrier’s main plant – the nuclear plant. This has nothing to do with biofuel.

• bunkerville says:

Sorry if I was not clear. If you go to the original post done on 2011′, and source referenced it was suggested that ships may have to stay in port in order to meet the energy savings mandate. Now, in 2013 it has come to pass. I suggest if one digs deeper there is some bot that has to meet the green energy mandate. The other point is that there simply is not the requried biofuel available for the navy regardless if the ship in question was nuclear. The planes certainly aren’t. The headline was meant to convey that to say we cannot keep our navy up to snuff because of budgetary concerns it nuts, while we waste money like this.

3. novascout says:

PS: I read a wide variety of papers. Each day I scan through the Washington Post, the Washington Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Financial Times. the New York times and USA Today. It would never occur to me not to read a newspaper of any repute whatsoever because of its editorial inclinations. All these papers do a creditable job of assembling news. Their editorial pages diverge considerably, but I cherry pick from those. In any event, however, I don’t follow your idea that a “conservative” should confine himself to the Washington Post. They aren’t the paper they were ten or twenty years ago and they aren’t bad. But they’re fairly centrist to liberal on their editorial page.

And, just to be clear, the issue of the Refueling and Overhaul of the Lincoln has nothing to do with the aircraft fuel (which the Brits do not call “petrol”. “Petrol” is what we call gasoline. Jet aircraft (military or civilian) do not burn gasoline.

The Bunkerville post made it clear that the Lincoln required a 4-year refueling and complex overhaul (RCOH) of the ship. The acronym is in Wikipedia.

Anyway, I am happy to hear you scan through a variety of sources.

Because none of us are as humble as we should be, we all have capacity to embarrass ourselves.

Galatians 6:3-5 New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)

3 For if those who are nothing think they are something, they deceive themselves. 4 All must test their own work; then that work, rather than their neighbor’s work, will become a cause for pride. 5 For all must carry their own loads.

We compare ourselves to each other, but how we do so is often rather silly. No one save God knows of all the burdens another person must carry. If God measures our progress relative to the burdens we must carry, we ought to do the same.

• novascout says:

The Bunkerville post, either through ignorance or through an intentional effort to mislead, was not at all clear that the “refueling” of the Lincoln had nothing to do with biofuels. The author very much wanted the reader to think there was a link between the price of biofuel and the decision to delay the overhaul of the vessel.

Again, there is much to talk about re government policy toward biofuel use and production. This article took a legitimate issue and used it irresponsibly. One never knows who reads these things and some people who do not understand what “refueling” is on a nuclear vessel might well have been misled. Re the scriptural reference and the sermonette that follows, one of the loads I carry is being bombarded by misleading information being used for cheap, illogical political shots. If the author of that piece has some illness or mental disorder that is his burden, he has my sympathy up to a point. I hope he can get effective treatment. I can’t imagine that it justifies that sort of article, however.

novascout — Consider what you wrote.

Because you too much relished catching me in what you thought a mistake, you jumped to the conclusion that I had made a mistake.

Of course, I do make mistakes. The only writing I know of that cannot be improved is the Bible. Nonetheless, we find even the Bible difficult to comprehend. Even when the writer has done his part, the reader still has work to do.

Therefore, when we write, we edit our work, and when we read, we dare not leap to a conclusion.

For your edification, here is one of Aesop’s Fables, much beloved by PETA, of course.

The Frogs and the Well

Two Frogs lived together in a marsh. But one hot summer the marsh dried up, and they left it to look for another place to live in: for frogs like damp places if they can get them. By and by they came to a deep well, and one of them looked down into it, and said to the other, “This looks a nice cool place. Let us jump in and settle here.” But the other, who had a wiser head on his shoulders, replied, “Not so fast, my friend. Supposing this well dried up like the marsh, how should we get out again?”

“Look before you leap.”

4. Scout says:

I did not think you wrote the post. I thought that you made a mistake by re-publishing it. It was nonsense that reflected either an intentional effort to mislead or a very befuddled mind. By the way, what does PETA or Aesop have to do with re-fueling the Lincoln and the price of biofuel?