Delegate Bob Marshall sent this out today.
Your 2nd Amendment Rights are on the Line!
Dear Fellow Patriots,
My HB 2340, which says Virginia law enforcement and the National Guard will not enforce any new federal gun control efforts, was to be voted on by the full House of Delegates today. However, the House of Delegates shamefully voted to send my HB 2340 to the Appropriations Committee with a non-recorded vote to look into “concerns” that Virginia might lose federal grant money for Joint Task Forces as a result of this bill. This is simply not true!
HB 2340 will not prevent a state or local official from participating in such task forces or from aiding a federal official in an investigation related to a federal crime such as kidnapping across state lines, or a drug operation just because the person being investigated happened to be in possession of a firearm made illegal through new Federal gun controls. As such there should be no reason for the Federal government to withhold funding for such Task Forces. What HB 2340 WILL DO is give Virginia a leg to stand on in opposing new Federal gun control legislation.
On the floor today I equated failing to protect the Second Amendment rights of our citizens to accepting 30 pieces of silver from the Federal Government in exchange for a fundamental right.
Delegate Kirk Cox (R-66) raised the objection about losing Federal funding but when questioned could not point to any funding that has been lost as a result of HB 1160 which became law July 1, 2012.
HB 1160 was very similar to HB 2340 with regard to the method used to stand against the Federal Government’s intrusion into the Constitutional rights of Virginia citizens. In that case the bill was to keep Virginia from assisting the Federal Government in detaining citizens with no trial and no charges filed under the NDAA. To my knowledge no funding has been withheld by the Federal Government as a result of HB 1160 becoming law and none would be withheld as a result of HB 2340.
I requested a record vote on the motion to refer the bill to Appropriations, but could not even find the necessary 20 members willing to second my demand for a record vote. I asked for a division which resulted in an overwhelming number of Republicans raising their hands (in addition to the Democrats, of course) to send the bill to the Appropriations Committee. I could only identify 4 other members who voted not to send the bill to Appropriations, Delegates Mark Cole, Todd Gilbert, Scott Lingamfelter and Tony Wilt. If the Appropriations Committee fails to take the bill up or make a motion on the bill, every member must be held accountable because silence on HB 2340 is consent to an agreement with federal efforts to abridge our Second Amendment rights.
PLEASE CONTACT THE MEMBERS OF THE APPROPRIATIONS COMMITTEE BELOW AND URGE THEM TO ACT WITHOUT DELAY TO SEND HB 2340 TO THE FULL HOUSE OF DELEGATES FOR A VOTE BEFORE CROSSOVER, OR HB 2340 WILL BE KILLED AND VIRGINIA WILL BE LEFT WITH NOTHING TO PROTECT IT’S CITIZENS FROM NEW FEDERAL GUN CONTROL LAWS!
- Chairman Lacey Putney / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1019
- Delegate Robert Tata / email@example.com / 804-698-1085
- Delegate Riley Ingram / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1062
- Delegate Joe May / email@example.com / 804-698-1033
- Delegate Bev Sherwood / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1029
- Delegate Kirk Cox / email@example.com / 804-698-1055
- Delegate Steve Landes / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1025
- Delegate Chris Jones / email@example.com / 804-698-1076
- Delegate John O’Bannon / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1073
- Delegate Scott Lingamfelter / email@example.com / 804-698-1031
- Delegate Charles Poindexter / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1009
- Delegate Jimmie Massie / email@example.com / 804-698-1072
- Delegate Ed Scott / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1030
- Delegate Chris Peace / email@example.com / 804-698-1097
- Delegate Tag Greason / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1032
- Delegate Jim Scott / email@example.com / 804-698-1053
- Delegate Johnny Joannou / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1079
- Delegate Bob Brink / email@example.com / 804-698-1048
- Delegate Onzlee Ware / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1011
- Delegate Algie Howell / email@example.com / 804-698-1090
- Delegate Mamye BaCote / firstname.lastname@example.org / 804-698-1095
- Delegate Rosalyn Dance / email@example.com / 804-698-1063
When I first read the above, I thought: he’s kidding! No. Here is a news story:
Bill to bar Va from enforcing fed gun laws diverted back to committee.
Are our leaders that stupid? That’s their idea of killing a bill quietly, telling us that Federal grant money is more important to them than our rights?
What is sad is we voted for these buffoons. So this must be the kind of leadership we deserve, people who care more about money than anything else.
Please send a note to your delegate. Let them know what you think is important.