Attention: Calling Our Nation

Citizen Tom:

I found this post via My Blog (here), and I think it provides an excellent explanation of why Christians must involve themselves in politics. How we do it is up to each of us. What we must remember is that God gave us each gifts, and He expects us to seek His guidance to use those gifts.

Originally posted on altruistico:

Jesus said, “You are the salt of the earth . . . You are the light of the world . . . Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven” (Matt. 5:13, 14, 16). Followers of Christ have a responsibility to preserve the Judeo-Christian fabric of our society and stem the tide of moral decay.

Christians have a responsibility to protect and uphold biblical values.

There are many worthy causes believers can fight for in the political realm—lower taxes, better stewardship of our country’s natural resources, and improved educational standards, to name a few. But Christians have a God-given responsibility to defend their beliefs in three areas of vital importance:

1. Life

The Declaration of Independence states that “all men are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights. Among these…

View original 886 more words

This entry was posted in Constitution, religion. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Attention: Calling Our Nation

1. Scout says:

Christians have a responsibility to love God completely before all else and to love their neighbours as they love themselves. Politics are base and trivial compared to these requirements. Politics are about funding pothole filling.

Odd comment coming from a fellow who frequents political blogs. Do we love our neighbors by leaving them to the mercy of a tyrannical government? I doubt you would think so. Perhaps you intended sarcasm.

2. Scout says:

I do not “frequent” political blogs for religious reasons, Tom. As an attempting Christian, I do not feel required not to engage in secular discussions. But I do believe the issues and content of these two spheres to be largely distinct.

I’m a great devotee of Bonhoeffer. I can imagine (as he experienced) situations in which faith requires political action. I find the United States, however, to be an incredibly (and blessedly) benign place for people of faith, thanks to the wisdom of the Founders. People who regard the “system” here as tyrannical are either left-over hippies from the 1960s or folks who simply don’t get out much.

Christianity defines our purpose in life. Consider how Jesus put it.

Matthew 22:34-40 Good News Translation (GNT)

The Great Commandment
      34 When the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they came together,35 and one of them, a teacher of the Law, tried to trap him with a question.36
      Teacher, he asked,
      which is the greatest commandment in the Law?
      37 Jesus answered,

Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.38 This is the greatest and the most important commandment.39 The second most important commandment is like it:
      Love your neighbor as you love yourself.40 The whole Law of Moses and the teachings of the prophets depend on these two commandments.

If we are to love the Lord our God with all our heart, with all our soul, and with all our mind, then we must strive to make everything we do revolve around God. That includes obeying His command to love our neighbor as we love our self. Since government is such an important part of neighbor’s lives, we must do our best to make certain what our government does meets the highest moral standards we can achieve. From whence should those moral standards come? Well, if you are a Christian, ….

3. Scout says:

Your comment kind of trailed off at the end there, Tom. Not sure where your were going with that.

So we engage in political discussion to improve our neighbour’s life? This all smacks of radical left-wing, socialist, Liberation theology to me. Well, to each his own, I suppose.

How odd! You don’t know from whence a Christian’s moral standards come from. Perhaps that is why you called yourself an “attempting Christian”. Otherwise, putting the term “attempting” in front of Christian is redundant. It is a struggle for any Christian to give up their pride and to put their full faith in the sacrifice Jesus made for us. It is not easy to admit to ourselves we belong to God and to live as the willing servant of God.

Anyway, since I said nothing to suggest a radical left-wing, socialist, Liberation theology, I suspect you are trying to bait me. I suppose you would like to cover up the silliness of your own statements. You may as well not bother. Even if you succeed, God would still know what you said, and His opinion is the only one that counts.